Apricot and walnut stuffing
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 225g dried apricots, cut into small pieces
- 225g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 75g butter
- 225g walnuts, roughly chopped
- generous bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 200C and grease a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Add 600ml water into a pan with the onion and apricots. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about five minutes. Drain.
- Put the breadcrumbs into a large bowl. Melt the butter in a frying pan and pour half of this over the breadcrumbs.
- In the remaining butter, fry the walnuts over a high heat until lightly browned. Tip into the bowl with the breadcrumbs. Add the apricots, onion and parsley to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn into a buttered, shallow, ovenproof dish and bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until crisp and hot right through.
Recipe courtesy of BBC – chestnuts replaced with walnuts due to South African availability